Thursday, August 23, 2012

Incompatible Beliefs

As a extraordinarily independent child, I never really relied on my parent's beliefs and opinions to form my own. I guess I mean to say that I'm not a democrat because my parents were democrat (haha, now that's a concept!), like their perspectives were siphoned off to create my own. I was always good about forming my own thoughts and opinions without the influence of others.



The same goes with my original ideas of love and marriage, which are so stinking traditional you'd think I was brainwashed or something. Well that's not the case. I came to my own conclusions.

I guess this makes me a fuddy duddy, but I've always believed that love is a deep, long-term commitment that is unconditional, and realistic dating always has the idea of marriage as an endgame. And as for marriage; it's more than just committing to someone because you think you love them; it's pledging to always respect and admire your spouse, and always be there for them regardless of the warm, fuzzy feelings in your stomach. If you ask me, that's why marriage is such a big fat failure these days: People seem to think that the love they feel for their significant other is enough, and they don't even bother to consider the other factors involved.

Haha so with that in mind I guess it's no big surprise that I'm about to be officially divorced with no intention or hope of entering another relationship. Maybe my standards are too high for someone in my position - but then again I would rather have exactly what I was looking for rather than the first available regardless of quality and compatibility. Been there, done that. Wasn't worth it.

Although I have to admit I do not believe there is a single good guy out there worth my time. I mean, I have some guy friends who are FANTASTIC human beings, and deserve a woman who will love them as much as they love her. But for me and my beliefs, there just isn't one out there. I'm still waiting to see a marriage these days that wasn't sullied by infidelity, because everywhere I look adultery abounds. It makes me question the quality of my culture. But that is a rant for another day.

Point is the only thing I got out of my marriage besides a ridiculous amount of debt is the realization that good men don't exist - at least not in my age bracket with the capability of being a romantic interest. I thought my ex-husband was a good person, and I was horribly, horribly wrong.

But wouldn't that mean that I'm setting myself up for failure, believing there isn't a man on this earth who is compatible with my ideas of love and marriage? I guess so, but if you ask me I would rather be proven wrong than settle and get myself in another disaster of a relationship. And of course I could just always spend my days amazingly single. I'll rescue some giant dogs from the SPCA and we'll spend the weekends rolling around in all the money I never spent on another wedding, someone else's rent, or kids.

 
His name will be Hoth and he will assist me in rolling in the Benjamins.

No comments:

Post a Comment