Monday, August 13, 2012

Grim Outlook

My  outlook for this week is grim at best, considering it's not really different from the schematics of last week and last week sucked balls. Too bad I figured that part out after finishing off 375 ml of vodka and another of Kahlua by myself. Oh, the hangover.

Always seems like a good idea at the time.

What really gets my goat about it is there's no real reason for my week to be an absolute crap fest. There's no root canal scheduled, no quarterly review or anything. It's just work and... Netflix, because I have no social life. Maybe I'm grim because I'm bored and don't have anything better to do than Netflix. Sad to admit, but quite plausible.

Being unfulfilled is one thing. Not knowing why you feel unfulfilled is another. Well, that's not exactly the best way to word it: I'm on the tail end of a painful divorce and I'm destitute - who in the hell would be happy with that? But I have a roof over my head, good friends and family, a job that isn't absolutely vomit-inducing, and, of course, Netflix. I've been better, but I'm not exactly in the gutter. Why can't I be complacent?

As always I have absolutely no idea.

So the questions becomes this: If I'm unfulfilled, what the hell would be fulfilling? Again, I have no idea. Is there a formulaic process to discover such things, or do you have to wait for life to plop something in your lap because you're too much of a dummy to even think of it yourself? Not having money kind of puts a damper on such things.

Talking about depressing things for any length of time is disgruntling, and I don't like it. So switching gears. I guess in a semi-related note, here is a list of fun things to do when you're bored and/or alone:

Bored and Alone? What to try something new? These Recommendations Worked for Me.

1.) Have a Nostalgia Fest 
 Dig through those boxes in the top of your closet of the garage and experience all the photo-album goodness of your memories. Maybe at the same time you can get some spring cleaning done in the process or discover something awesome that you forgot you had. 

2.) Embark on Tasty Explorations
If you like discovery or food or both, then see if you can give your taste buds an epiphany. Check out your local farmer's market or "health food store." You might open your mind and your stomach to something great and new, like all natural chocolate covered honeycomb or bison jerky. 

3.) Treat Yourself
Have a little bit of walking around money? Then do something for yourself that you've wanted for awhile. It could be browsing some of your favorite stores and indulging in a new shirt or fancy pen, or you could just check into a swanky motel and give yourself the spa treatment with a getaway. Sometimes a little something can make your day.

4.) Watch a Movie At Random
Sometimes you can get yourself in a genre rut (how often do you want to watch a movie but nothing in the line up looks good?). So be spontaneous; rent or go see a movie you know nothing about and just see it. You might be surprised at what you find.

5.) Text EVERYONE. 
If you don't want to be alone, then see what you're options on. Text everyone in your address book something nice like, "How are you to day?" Even if no one happens to want to make plans to do something, you could have some surprisingly long and meaningful conversations.


You never know what will happen until you put your feelers out there, I guess. Maybe I should take my own advice and seek to make my outlook for the week less pessimistic. We'll see how that goes.


No comments:

Post a Comment